These bags are then placed in distribution points (carefully chosen shops/locations) within the community on a borrow and return basis to reduce single use plastic bag use. Through Boomerang Bags we start conversations, make friends, divert textile waste, up-cycle materials and work towards shifting society’s throw away mentality to a more sustainable revolution of re-use ― one community, needle and thread and bag at a time!
Boomerang bags started in Queensland Australia in 2013 - now it's a global community initiative that works! With communities now throughout Australia,New Zealand , U.S.A, Canada,Alaska, Iceland,U.K,Europe, reducing landfill- saving 38,000+ kg of single use plastic from going to landfill.
We have 40,000 plastic bags going to landfill every HOUR here in NZ and in our own Bay we have 60,000 tonne of textile waste annually in Napier & Hastings alone. < mind blowing facts !
To find out more or to get involved contact the page via pm. The project relies on the time and generosity of the local community, for our Hawke's Bay.
A small portion of bags go into a "Bag Bank" to help the next area/distribution point being set up so the more volunteers, the more bags produced & the faster this can happen- We have 11 distribution points at this point to set up over the following months, from (in no particular order) Wairoa, Napier, Hastings, Clive, Havelock North, Waipukurau, Waipawa. So we need the community to invest in what is, for our community.
If you are serious about becoming a volunteer, please join our volunteer support group, by answering the questions prompted and giving us your address & ph details for our confidential volunteer database (only admin view these details) **We will only add you to the group once you answer questions- any difficulty in doing this with your device, please pm us :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/114349945851989/?ref=br_rs
You can help out by:
* Donating second-hand materials :CLEAN linen, fabric offcuts, curtains, duvets, thread,pins to any one of our drop off points listed below
* Volunteer to help make bags-sewing skills not essential!
*If you are a business, think about making contact with the page to sponsor us, there are many options available, as we are not for profit & running on love!
* Spread the word! talk to your friends, spare some time- We need your help.
WE NEED SEWERS AND CUTTERS URGENTLY PLEASE!
Volunteering can include :
* Collecting donated fabric and equipment
* Sourcing a venue (home or public space) to hold working bees
* Attending working bees to sew, pin, iron, cut or sew from home
* Keeping the distribution point boxes stocked up with bags
* Making and maintaining an ongoing relationship with a school/retailer/
business where Boomerang Bags is delivered