E tū says thousands of its members are expected to benefit from the Government’s Families Package, which cames into effect 1 july.
The package includes:
- widening eligibility for key benefits including Working for Families which will increase for many
- wider access to the Accommodation supplement and an increase for eligible people in expensive locations such as Auckland and Hamilton
- a Winter Fuel benefit
- A lift in the Family Tax Credit and an increase in the abatement threshold.
- Best Start payments for families with a new baby.
- The implementation of the package also coincides with the extension of Paid Parental Leave to 22 weeks.
“The Government is committed to addressing child poverty in this country and the only way to do that is to lift the family income,” says E tū Industry Coordinator, Jill Ovens.
“That’s what this package does in many different ways, including crucially in the child’s first year of life, and for three years for those on low incomes. $3,000 a year will make a huge difference towards giving children a really good start,” she says.
Jill says the extension of paid parental leave will also benefit children by giving parents, whether the father or the mother time to strengthen the bond with their baby.
“That’s all about giving parents choices,” she says.
Jill says the changes are complex and members should check the details of the package to establish their correct entitlements.