“Ship operators are aware of the many discussions with interested parties with regard to bringing a floating dry dock facility to New Zealand that will take current and future ships. We encourage those involved in the decision to actively progress it,” he said.
“Federation members are neutral with regard to the location of a floating dry dock, as anywhere here in New Zealand is significantly closer than the alternatives in the Philippines, Sydney or Singapore. We should retain the work and follow-on benefits within New Zealand.”
He said the Federation only asks that the choice of location is based on the factors that relate to functionality. These include:• Ability to operate 24 hour, seven day a week.• Suitable draught channel to the floating dock facility for all potential users including international vessels.• Wharfage close to the dry dock for work that occurs pre and post docking time.• Reasonable costs of access, port fees especially pilotage.
Federation members are less concerned about an existing workforce being in place prior to the dock being installed. “We are confident that the dry dock will attract the necessary associated businesses, including skilled workers, opportunities for apprentices in the relevant trades, accommodation and support services.”
“The sooner, the better,” said Mr Glover.
The New Zealand Shipping Federation began in 1906 and is the key representative body for New Zealand’s coastal shippers.Members of the Federation are:
- Coastal Bulk Shipping www.coastalbulkshipping.co.nz Anatoki Bulk cargo
- Coastal Oil Logistics (COLL) www.coll.co.nz
- Holcim www.holcim.co.nz Buffalo Cement
- InterIslander www.interislander.co.nz Aratere Cook Strait ferry
- Kaiarahi Cook Strait ferry
- Kaitaki Cook Strait ferry
- NIWA www.niwa.co.nz
- Tangaroa Research
- Kaharoa Research
- China Navigation Aotearoa Chief Cement
- www.pacship.co.nz Spirit of Canterbury Container cargo
- Silver Fern Shipping www.sfsl.co.nz Kokako Fuel
- Matuku Fuel
- Strait Shipping www.strait.co.nz Straitsman Cook Strait ferry
- Strait Feronia Cook Strait ferry