According to NZTA Senior Manager Project Delivery Chris Hunt, the Cannons Creek Bridge is a showcase of technical design and innovation.
“The design and construction of the Cannons Creek Bridge is significant. The technical challenges associated with designing and building a long, high, curving bridge that is aesthetically pleasing yet able to withstand a 1 in 2500 year seismic event in an area of high seismicity require an innovative approach”.
Chris adds further challenges include:
- Minimising the environmental effects while working within a DoC reserve and within the wider Belmont Regional Park environment.
- Working directly under, and in close proximity to multiple power lines including the Benmore – Haywards inter-island DC link.
- Relocation of the Kapuni high pressure gas line, which ran under one of the bridge piers.
- Excavation of the bridge pier foundations in a steep narrow gorge, adjacent to the Cannons Creek stream.
- Getting heavy cranes and machinery and materials to the site given its remote location.
Be interesting to know who the various centres of expertise are that contribute to the overall project.