On the hunt for successful Australasian technology scale-ups, the UK Department for International Trade (DIT) has launched its Tech Rocketship Awards in Australia and New Zealand.
The Tech Rocketship Awards are open to established Australian and New Zealand scale-ups who offer innovative, technology-led solutions across a wide spectrum of industries and are ready to internationalise.
The awards will help 8 winners gain exposure, expand their global networks and expedite the set-up of their UK operations through a paid-for, curated trip to the UK in early 2019.
So far, over 40 companies have participated in the UK’s Tech Rocketship programme, but this is the first time the awards have been open to Australian and New Zealand businesses. The programme is supported by partners, the Australian British Chamber of Commerce and Grant Thornton.
Michael Ward, British Consul General and Director-General, UK Department for International Trade, Australia and New Zealand said:
- The UK tech sector is going from strength to strength, growing 2.6 times faster than the wider economy. The UK is the fifth largest economy in the world - and with 65 million potential consumers, a deep tech ecosystem, an extraordinary talent base and a supportive business environment, it’s the perfect place for determined, ambitious tech companies to scale globally.
- With support from our teams on the ground in Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland and Brisbane, we’re already seeing a strong increase in the number of innovative Australian and New Zealand tech-led companies achieving real success in the UK.
- Tech Rocketship is an excellent platform for companies to supercharge their UK expansion plans and I encourage those Australasian tech companies with genuinely global ambitions to apply now.
The Tech Rocketship Award categories in Australasia are:
- Economy and Digital Security
- Tech for an Ageing Society
- The AI and Data Revolution
- The Future of Mobility
- Clean Growth
- Feeding the Nation
- Connected Consumers and Creativity
- GREAT Tech for Change Award
David McCredie, CEO of the Australian British Chamber of Commerce said:
- The Australian British Chamber of Commerce is delighted to support this UK Department for International Trade initiative. This award programme is further evidence of the strong relationship between the UK and Australia and New Zealand, particularly in the tech sector which continues to drive opportunity and success for our Members and the broader relationship. We look forward to supporting the participants on their journey to the UK.
Holly Stiles, Partner, Grant Thornton said:
- At Grant Thornton we understand the challenges technology and fintech companies face when expanding rapidly. Support is needed in many areas including systems, compliance, tax structure and funding, so access to the best advice is critical. We’re delighted to work with DIT to support and enable that growth in Australia, New Zealand and globally.
The Tech Rocketship Awards are open for submissions until 23 November 2018. Full details about the competition, including terms and conditions are on the Tech Rocketship Awards website. Winners will be announced in December 2018.